Any kind of a problem in the teeth can be dealt with by the dentists. They are actively involved in filling cavities, removing decayed teeth and repairing broken teeth. Their main job is to diagnose as well as treat different kinds of problems that are related to the teeth and gums. They are the authority in giving relevant advice as well as instructions to the patients on the right ways and means in which they could take care of their oral health.
What are the duties performed by the Dentists?
1. First and foremost, they help in removing decayed teeth and then fill the cavities.
2. Give crooked and cracked teeth a proper shape.
3. They put whitening agents on the patientâs teeth to remove the yellowish tinge that got accumulated over the years.
4. They also administer anesthesia so as to mitigate the pain that the patients may experience during tooth extraction or other procedures.
5. They are engaged in examining x-rays of the gums, teeth, jaws and relevant areas too in order to arrive at the root cause of the problem.
6. They are involved in educating the patients about the right procedures towards better dental care.
Dentists make use of a wide variety of machinery and equipment that would make their job easier. Mouth mirrors, forceps, scalpels, probes, x-ray machines and many more. Some of them also make use of digital scanners, lasers, and even latest digital dentistry to make the procedures simple.
Additionally, dentists can have a private practice of their own. A few of them while in private practice will also oversee a range of administrative tasks that may include buying related equipment, supplies and bookkeeping too.
They have a gamut range of employees working under them and they include receptionists, dental lab technicians, dental assistants and dental hygienists.
There are a total of 9 specialist areas wherein the dentists can find themselves in:
1. Endodontists: These professionals are involved in performing root canal treatments. During this treatment, they remove the concerned nerves as well as cut the blood supply from the infected teeth.
2. Oral pathologists: These professionals are involved in diagnosing various conditions in the mouth like oral diseases, ulcers, bumps and sometimes cancer too.
3. Maxillofacial surgeons: These dentists are engaged in operating on the gums, teeth, jaws and mouth of the patients. They can also perform surgeries like extraction of impacted teeth, repairing the palate and cleft lip.
4. Maxillofacial radiologists: These professionals are involved in diagnosing diseases that are present in the head as well as neck with the help of imaging technologies.
5. Dental public health professionals: These specialists are engaged in promoting good oral and dental health. They also are actively involved in the prevention of various dental diseases in various communities.
6. Prosthodontists: These dentists are involved in replacing the missing teeth by way of removable or permanent fixtures. They do so by using removable fixtures like dentures or bridges and crowns.
7. Periodontists: These dentists are actively involved in treating the gums as well as the bones that support the teeth.
8. Pediatric dentists: These dentists work exclusively with children and also those patients who have special needs.
9. Orthodontists: These dentists are actively involved in straightening the teeth by way of bringing in pressure to the problem teeth with the help of braces or sometimes even other appliances.