These professionals are primarily engaged in designing satellites, aircrafts, missiles and space crafts. They are also actively engaged in testing prototypes to ensure the effective functioning as per the design.
What are the duties performed by Aerospace Engineers?
Here is the list of duties typically performed by aerospace engineers:
1. They are actively involved in directing and coordinating the aerospace and aircraft products right from design to manufacture to testing.
2. They are involved in assessing the proposals for various projects so as to ascertain the feasibility of the project, financially and technically too.
3. They are involved in determining if the different proposed projects will ultimately give aircrafts and parts that are safe and sound.
4. Their job also is to evaluate different designs and ensure that each of the designs meet requirements of the customers, principles of engineering and also the challenges posed by the environment.
5. The aerospace engineers should also ensure that the project meets all the standards in terms of quality.
6. The professionals are actively engaged in inspecting the products, damaged or malfunctioned so as to identify various causes or sources of problems.
These professionals may be engaged in developing new technologies that can be used in space crafts, defense systems and in aviation. They can specialize in a wide expanse of areas that include structural design, navigation, guidance, control and aerodynamic fluid flow; communication and instrumentation; combustion and propulsion.
There are different types of products in which the aerospace engineers can specialize in. They can specialize in helicopters and airplanes, rotorcrafts and remotely piloted aircrafts; spacecrafts which include satellites and launch vehicles and a range of other products that include rockets and military missiles.
They turn out to be experts in fields like thermodynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, flight mechanics, control and guidance systems, acoustics and celestial mechanics.
These professionals can specialize in either aeronautical engineering or astronautical engineering. The former involves the professionals working with the aircrafts. They are actively involved in the design of aircrafts and the propulsion systems. They also study the performance of the aircraft in terms of its aerodynamics and construction materials. The latter involves the professionals working with the spacecraftsâ science and technology and their performance on the earthâs atmosphere.
These professionals face different issues in terms of environment and operations as far as the designing of the aircrafts and spacecrafts are concerned. But, there is an overlap to a great extent in both the fields as they operate basically on the principles of Physics.